Friday, July 29, 2011

Myths of owning your own business

Lately I have been dealing with so many friends and family who have an opinion of what it is to own your own business, and their opinion and my reality however are two entirely different things. So to clarify , I would like to spell it out for anyone who's thinking of owning their own business, and to those who know people who own their own business. My hopes that it will help to shed some light and give these people a better understanding, leaving those who are self employed maybe a little slack !

First Myth - You have no boss , you are your own boss , therefore what you says goes.

Fact - You do have a boss, you have multiple bosses. Every customer/client you have is your boss. You are there to provide services or products to these people in a timely fashion and high quality. You have emails to answer, phones to answer , and you have an obligation to them.

2nd Myth, You set your own hours, work when you want to .

Fact. This is partially true. However, your hours are far more extensive then just 9 - 5 monday through friday most of the time. Myself personally , I work 7 days a week sometimes 19 hours a day. I have deadlines to meet and I can not take a day off to just go randomly shop, kick back relax, hang out with friends or any of those other 10 million things family and friends thinks I should justify a day off for.

3rd Myth , you have to be knocking out some serious cash because everything you make goes in your pocket.

fact. dont i wish ! I have material cost, extra electric , water etc that I use to make these things. I have tools to buy , replace, fix . I lose my tush on shipping at times especially when forced to overnight a package because I took a day off to help someone or per someones request when I knew I had a deadline to make

Speaking of deadlines , I have ones to make so this is all for now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment